Saturday, June 13, 2009

Review - Virus (1999)

I had the extreme pleasure of watching the movie “Virus” for the second time and after watching it this time, I really liked this movie. The story is based off of a Dark Horse comic of the same name and it’s essentially about an electronic alien life form that inhabits a ship and controls the robots in it. It was my surprise that Jamie Lee Curtis, Donald Sutherland and William Baldwin were in this movie but then again, it was a good movie.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

What I liked about it was the whole premise of a life form that lives within computers and attack using robots and fusing machines with real people. I don’t know why but it reminded me of “TerrorVision” because the idea is the same… and alien that tries to invade Earth via satellite.

I think what I really enjoyed about this movie was the unexpected amount of gore. Throughout the movie, and especially near the end, there are graphic scenes of robots fusing robotic ars and legs on disemboweled torsos and heads. There are scenes where there are spilled intestines and skin peeling when the crew captures one of the cyborgs and decides to pick it apart.

Not much else can be said about the movie, the acting was good and the visual effects were astonishing for 1999 and it should be… it was directed by special effects guru John Bruno and you can definitely see his influence.

0 comments:

Post a Comment