Saturday, June 6, 2009

Review - Re-Animator (1985)

So, after a year of waiting, I finally saw “Re-Animator,” by Stuart Gordon. I had previously saw this movie once but fell asleep watching it about 15 or 20 minutes into it. So, when I picked it up I thought that it would bore me to death like it did the first time. How wonderfully wrong my assumption was.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The movie was really good. From what I heard, it was one of the most accurate adaptations of Lovecraft’s stories and now after viewing this movie, it makes me want to read the story it was based off of. There was plenty of gore and great creature/zombie effects and some amazing puppetry. The acting was so-so, but that wasn’t why I watching it. It was also pretty campy in the style of “Evil Dead;” combining spoofy humor and real drama along with its overall horror atmosphere. There were points where I was laughing but also disgusted at the same time.

What I especially love is how much it compares to Frankenstein and how it completely reworks the entire ‘mad scientist’ character arc. West is a very brilliant and very driven man whose intentions are for a good purpose but his work has driven him to become unstable, his sanity is diminishing and he lacks any respect for life and death, so is he an anti-hero, hero or villain?

It came to my attention that when I first tried to watching this movie, it was around 3am and I was very tired. It would make sense because movies like this don’t usually put me to sleep.

0 comments:

Post a Comment