Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Constellation Trouble

It just came to me today, after taking astronomy… some of the constellations are so bizarre and ‘out there’ that they don’t even make sense. How is The Big Dipper supposed to resemble a bear when it looks like a spoon? The way that I see it, they are just stars and you can join them up anyway you wanted and get whatever you want. Hell, you can even join stars from many other constellations to make something bigger. Take for example Virgo: to me it does not look like a woman, far from it, it looks more like a giant satellite dish.  The constellation for Cancer does not look anything like a crab.

Maybe it’s just me, but I see them as just stars on a giant plane and nothing more. Although, it is fun to spot them, read about them and the mythology behind them. I just don’t see how people way back when saw the pictures in them. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment