Monday, September 28, 2009

Trailer - A Nightmare on Elm Street (HD) (2010)



So here is the debut of the trailer for the new Nightmare on Elm Street.
After watching the trailer... I was surprisingly intrigued by it and I normally hate remakes and Nightmare on Elm Street is one of my favorite movies of all time. The beginning shows how Freddy was burned and gives us the impression that he was wrongfully accused and it was nice to see this but I am a little iffy on it. It could be interesting. The rest of the trailer looks like your typical glossy testosterone enhanced movie with actors/actresses that look too old to be playing high schoolers. 

As for Freddy himself; before he got burned he looks like a hippie, which is okay, I am fine with that but as a burned man... I have a bit of an issue. His face, from what I saw in the trailer, looks a little 'alien,' which is the best way to describe it. I am just afraid that they may make Freddy a little too serious, which is okay, but what I liked about the original is that he was wild and crazy and he was insane. I still don't know, this is just my first impression on it. 

I hope it's worth it. 

3 comments:

Ms Harker said...

Snap! I just posted abut this too. I missed the whole Elm Street business as a kid. What intrigued about the trailer was the intro as to how Freddy became the evil dream invading horror stalwart he is today. I'm intrigued!

www.musingcontinuum.com

Anonymous said...

I agree about it looking like he was wrongfully accused. If they go down that route it could be interesting as an innocent man being torched would have more cause for revenge than a guilty one.
With regards to his face, I think the burns looked more convincing than any original Freddy make-up after Freddy's Revenge - after that it looked too fake and rubberry, although the main part of Freddy's look was really down to Robert Englund's angular features that lent the face an real evil sneer. Have to wait to see how the new guy fares.
I hope they do make Freddy more serious. Ultimately, in the original at least, he was a killer, not a wizard. All the fantasy based kills of the series (part 3 onwards) were just excuses to show off special effects and made Freddy look more like an evil David Copperfield (who is pretty evil, I think!). In parts 1 and 2 he was a slasher who killed with a real weapon and only alluded to fantasy elements (like pulling open the skin on his skull, etc.) when he needed to instill fear, and I hope that's what they bring the new movie back to. The last thing we want to see is Freddy controlling kids in their dreams with a Nintendo controller - oh no, that's been done already!
Haven't been too impressed with the last batch of remakes, but Elm Street was a big part of my youth so I am very intrigued by what it looks like they're trying to do. I just hope they don't fuck it up like they did with Friday the 13th!

WetOREO said...

I liked the trailer just fine except for Freddys voice. But Englands take on Kruger was so iconic, if I'm gonna enjoy this movie I am going to have to NOT compare the two.
There is a place for remakes in my opinion, as long as they are made with love for the product and not just to make a quick Hollywood buck(Stepfather, Prom Night).

Post a Comment