This post is actually influenced by a conversation that Deadly Movies and I had a few nights ago about The Langoliers. There are a lot of people that really hate this movie and although I do admit that the film does have some shitty CGI and some questionable acting… it’s not that bad of a movie. Sure, some things don’t make sense and like always the writer knows everything but I consider that movie a guilty pleasure of mine. This is what today’s post will be about… guilty pleasures.
Now, keep in mind that there are a lot of movies that would be classified as ‘guilty pleasures’ however, most of them I do not feel guilty telling people that I enjoy them. Case in point: C.H.U.D., I am proud to say that I am a fan of that movie. With these movies, I don’t normally tell horror fans or movies buffs that I enjoy them because they are questionable.
5. Sleepwalkers – Oh the fond memories of watching this film when I was younger, of course back then I didn’t notice the painfully bad acting, shitty effects and weak plot but in some way… I still enjoy this movie. I mean, who does not like watching a group of renegade cats attack a mother and son or better yet, who does not like to watch a son have weird cat-like sex with his mom? It has ‘sick beyond all belief but I love it’ stamped all over it.
4. The Langoliers – As I stated before, even though the acting can be hammy, and the CGI is atrocious, and the plot can be worked on, and the time it takes them to understand everything is implausible, I still enjoyed this movie. It does have its moments and it does a great job with anticipating the arrival of the Langoliers. If you can get past all the problems with it, it’s actually a pretty decent movie. Also, you have to understand that it is a made-for-TV movie.
3. Skeeter – I hate mosquitoes and if the dialogue and acting is awful, this movie still freaks me out. I am not saying that I jump up in my seat and scream but I do get that tingling feeling down my back because giant mosquitoes make me uncomfortable. Hell, Jumanji did the same thing for me. Granted, the acting and dialogue isn’t the only thing wrong with this movie… the bug-vision effects are terrible, the gore is minimal and there are a lot of continuity errors but I can guarantee that if you hate insects you’ll hate this movie.
2. Shadow Builder – When I first saw this I had no idea Michael Rooker was in it and now that I know… it skyrocket to number 2 on my list. But that’s not the only reason why, this film has some pretty terrifying scenes in it and I think it’s one of the best small town horror movies on a budget. Also, an old man kills his wife with an axe then gets a telephone poll thrown on him… what more can you ask? It comes with really bad acting and some really bad CGI and even worse dialogue but the rest is pretty good. Not the best, mind you. It will always be embedded in my head when Satan tells a priest that, “God is a butcher boy.” That made me smile.
1. Ghost Ship – I liked this movie. Aside from maybe some really bad acting and a somewhat cliché storyline, I don’t know why people do not like this film. Maybe I am not seeing something and if I am not, please enlighten me. Though it didn’t really scare me in the theater or even now, it’s fairly entertaining and I find the beginning as well as some of the flashback sequences pretty thrilling. Granted, I have seen better ‘ghost ship’ movies but this one sticks out for some reason. There are some bad movies out there that are entertaining and enjoyable to watch, but they are still bad. Ghost Ship is a perfect example of this.
Honorable Mention: Virus
So there is my list. They are not your typical guilty pleasure horror flicks but they still, to me, are very entertaining movies. However, if I had a top 10 list you’d see way more guilty pleasures like Graduation Day or Street Trash on there.