Sunday, December 20, 2009

Paradise Profiles: Dollar Bin Horror



For today’s Paradise Profile I am going to be interviewing Rhonda (Reaper) Kachur who is the creator of the blog Dollar Bin Horror. A “movie blog for the Horror fans on a budget.” I have read her blog and it is one of the most unique and good spirited blogs out there, which is why I decided to give her an interview.

What got you into horror?

I got into horror way back when i was four. My dad got cable for the sports and my parents really didn't pay attention to what I watched so I would be up watching Tales from the Crypt. I didn't really get obsessed with the genre till I was 14 and my dad brought a movie with him to watch during a visitation we had with him. The movie was the first Saw film, and i was hooked

What made you want to dedicate an entire blog to 'dollar bin' horror?
Well the last few years have been hard. I'm an unemployed college student, and my dad was layed off, so money around here is tight. I love horror but can't afford to go to the movies all the time. I found a dollar bin at a Save-a-Lot and found 3 horror movies in it. Ever since then instead of going to F.Y.E. for a movie, I just go to the supermarket.

How do you go about reviewing these movies? Do you buy them or do research on them?
I own almost all the movies I have reviewed so far and the ones I don't I've seen them either online, on tv, or from a friend. I pretty much just say what I think about the film and If it's worth the buck to buy it or not.

What was your inspiration to start a blog in the first place, regardless of what it would be about?
I actually made the blog on a random impulse. I was reading another horror blog, I think it was yours actually, and thought it would be fun to make one, so I did. I never thought I'd get as many followers as I have now ad never imagined doing interviews and reviews for other people. It's amazing and I love it.

I noticed that you are a Stephen King reader? What is your favorite book by him and why?
I absolutely adore Gerald's Game because of the imagery it puts in your head as you read it. It's one of the most disturbing books I have ever read, and I love it.

What film did the best adaptation of his book?
oh god there are so many that I love, but three pop in my head right ow. The first is IT. The next is The Green Mile. I know it's not horror, but I cried my ass off to that movie. The third is 1408. Not a lot of people agree with me, but I just love that movie and the way that one man's performance, John Cusack, could carry almost the entire film his back is amazing..

Why do you think horror is such a controversial subject?
I think it's because people blame violent actions on violence in the media. If a person saw a scary movie with blood and stuff in it, then went and murdered someone, it's automatically the movies fault. People use the defense that they were just doing what they saw in a movie or on tv and don't hold themselves accountable for there actions. I've been watching horror since I was four, have I killed anybody? No. It's controversial because it ca be used as a scapegoat.

What do you like to do in your spare time? (i.e. what is your relaxing methods?)
Other than watching horror movies, I love to sing. If I'm in a bad mood, I put on music and sing. I used to sing in a band and even made it to nationals in a singing competition. It's like a release for me. I would love to do it professionally one day along with making horror films if I get the opportunity.



You can click here for Dollar Bin Horror’s official website.
You can click here to become a fan of Dollar Bin Horror
Follow Rhonda by clicking here.
Follow Dollar Bin Horror by clicking here.

Tune in next time where I will interview Amanda Norman of Amanda Norman Photography.

2 comments:

Rhonny Reaper said...

thanks so much! this was fun :)

penney1115 said...

Nice interview :)

Post a Comment