Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mocking Halloween: The Exorcist

This film is considered to be one of the scariest films of all time and one of the greatest films in general. To call it the scariest film of all time is overstating the movie. The Exorcist is a slow burn movie and probably too slow for a film that is supposed to scare the living daylights out of you. Up until Regan mutilates herself with the crucifix, you are constantly on the edge of your seat waiting for something scary to happen. Even when the possession starts… it seems more like a poltergeist possession and a demonic one. Finally, when Regan gets fully possessed you’re relieved to see something frightening happen but even sill the movie makes effort to cut away from the action and instead focus on a priest jogging around a field. It’s not until Merrin shows up when things begin getting good.

Considering that kids nowadays are so pampered by TV and the Internet that they are accustomed to seeing people getting their heads lopped off, or people getting blown away by guns that they won’t look at The Exorcist as a horror. If you put this movie on for a 12 year old today, he’d probably fall asleep. I damn near fell asleep before the movie got to it’s middle. For horror fans, this movie is sacred ground but for most of the modern general public The Exorcist is a snooze-fest.

4 comments:

HorrO said...

I see your point. When I saw it again in theaters last week, I was surprised at how much actually happened before she gets possessed. I had forgotten all of that. I could see some people being bored. Still love the movie though!!!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I was extremely disappointed when I saw this movie. I did get some great laughs from the movie, but was otherwise pretty bored. Probably a case of too much hype before I saw it.

Mr. Johnny Sandman said...

Yeah. Luckily I saw it when the Internet was still young. It's frightening in the sense that it's happening to a little girl and the overall mood of the film.

watch movies said...

Its a slow movie but it was a movie that has concepts which has never been seen. I love the whole set up and it was the most ambitious horror movie ever made.

Post a Comment