Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Inside The House on Haunted Hill

When I first saw the remake of House on Haunted Hill I loved it and even now, despite its flashy and glossy look, it’s still a great throwback to classic haunted house films as well as detective flicks. However, there was something that always attracted me to the film and that has to be it’s set design. At a young age I would always draw out, exactly how I saw them on screen, the different rooms and hallways that were shown. I had the biggest fascination with gothic architecture as well as art deco (as I already expressed here) and in fact I wanted to be an architect when I grew up. I was so infatuated by this movie’s set design that I actually began drawing up blueprints for the asylum on some graphing paper that I found. Yes, I drew up the floorplans for he foyer, the bedrooms, and the 1st and 2nd floors to the basement of the asylum. Now, I don’t know where these drawings are today but I am sure they are somewhere but in the meantime… I want to share with you some of my favorite rooms of the Vannicutt Institute for the Criminally Insane. Mind you, they are beautifully constructed.

1 comments:

James Gracey said...

So spooky! GREAT looking film - wouldn't mind checking it out again as I haven't seen it since it was released back in 1999 (!!).

Post a Comment