Saturday, May 1, 2010

A Tribute to the Nightmares on Elm Street

With the new Nightmare on Elm Street movie hitting theaters and with hoards of people going to see it, I decided to post one of the best fan-made tribute videos for the Elm Street films that I have seen. For me, as I watched the tribute video play I realized that really enjoyed the Nightmare on Elm Street films particularly the first one and Dream Warriors. So without further adieu, I present a tribute to the Nightmare on Elm Street films.


Note: I did NOT make this video.

Looking back on the whole Elm Street legacy (can’t wait for the documentary to come out) I remember why I adored the first one so much. It scared me as a kid, but nowhere near the as much as The Blob or The Thing did, but I think what I liked about it was the impact that it had on slashers. I didn’t know it at the time but most of the kids in the Nightmare on Elm Street movies knew who Krueger was and they knew they had to kill him so rather than running away they decided to be ballsy and fight Freddy. Most slashers, and this is no disrespect to any particular slasher, the lead female or male runs away from the killer half of the movie and then fights him at the end. In Elm Street, the kids run away the first time and then midway into the film they decided to go after Freddy.

Dream Warriors was my midnight movie when I was growing up. I would sit on the recliner in my grandparent’s bedroom and watch it every time it came on TV. My grandma would watch it with me because she loved scary movies and my grandpa would watch it but he would always have something snarky to say like, “why don’t those kids just move out of the neighborhood,” or “You kids and your horror movies.” Back then I was a very active kid so I would reenact every scene out of Dream Warriors, which is probably why I hold it in such high regard.

I guess the point of this post is to share some of my Elm Street memories that surfaced after I saw this tribute video… and what memories they were.

1 comments:

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2010 said...

I started watching A nightmare on elm street when I was of 6. I loved the whole sequel. A Nightmare on Elm Street is my favorite film of all time. It was not a perfect film, but it was suspenseful and gory.

Post a Comment